Friday, October 16, 2009

World Cup Qualifier

Do I look patriotic? I should. I was on my way to a World Cup Qualifier. The Real Salt Lake Stadium is in the back ground. Over Labor day weekend Sam and the Kids and I headed down to Salt Lake to see some family, friends, and to go to the game.

We had great seats. We were in a corner of the stadium near one of the goals. We were only about 12 rows up from the field. It was so cool to see the National team players so close up. It felt like I could just get out on the field and run too. Note that I did not say that I could get out on the field and kick the ball...that would not have happened. That ball moves way too fast!
Notice all of the lighter blue behind us. Those people were not U.S. fans they were El Salvador fans and there were a lot of them! It seemed like the crowd was about 50/50. There were some die hard fans out there. Especially these guys.
If you look closely you can see Michael Phelps, the Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, Captain America, Daniel Boone and even an Astronaut. This should give you a little perspective on what the atmousphere was like in the stadium. And these guys weren't even sitting with Sam's Army. For those of you who don't know, Sam's army always sits behind the goal and they dress super patriotically and sing songs and do chants for the entire game. I didn't get a picture of Sam's Army but they had a guy who played the trumpet and a guy who played the trombone to accompany there songs. It was so fun to hear and join in with the crowd chanting U-S-A while trying to drowned out "SALVADOR"!


Here are a couple more die hard soccer fans that I happened to be sitting with.

You might be wondering who won but all you have to do is take one look at Sam and his good friend Cory's faces and you will be able to tell who were the victors!
We also were lucky enough to be able to spend the afternoon with Cory, Carolyn and their cute kids. Their three children are almost the exact same ages as ours, which means that fun was had by all. It was so great to see the Hansens again. It was like old times only with a whole lot more kids!
We also went to temple square while we were in Salt Lake. This sculpture is near the Joseph Smith Memorial building.
A nice lady took our family photo at the reflector pool.

Sam took this photo. He loves taking pictures of the landscape and the buildings when he goes to temple square. Believe me, there are many more pictures from where this one came from.
A street performer, who was counting his dollar bills as we came walking by, offered to take this picture for us.
Here's my little Hannah, after riding in the car all day, looking on, with the Christus in the background.
And here's Elise, sitting comfortably in front of some beautiful flowers. This was right after she stepped off the path into the dirt. She really wanted to play in that dirt and pick all of the flowers.

After we went to Temple Square we walked over to the Gateway mall where we met my wonderful cousin Holly and her kind husband Blake and there cute kids for dinner. All in all we had a wonderful time. A special thanks to my mom for watching our kids for us while we were at the soccer game!

2 comments:

Karma said...

What an awesome weekend!! I bet that was really fun to attend the soccer game!

Carolyn said...

It was so fun to have you guys down for a while. Too bad there aren't more soccer games!!