Thursday, June 12, 2008

Whp Needs Sleep?


Their is a song by the "Bare Naked Ladies" that goes "Who needs sleep? No you're never gonna get it, Who needs Sleep? Tell me what's that for, Who needs sleep? No you're never gonna get it. Their's folks who've been awake since the second world war..." Well I have an answer to you Bare Naked Ladies...I Need SLEEP! Lately my girls haven't been sleeping well. Last night it was Hannah. She came to my room and stood in the doorway until I come out. Then she told me that she needed to go potty. I told her to go. She wanted me to go with her. I went with her and then made her go back upstairs to bed, she wants to know when we are going to the zoo. Then at 6 o'clock this morning in rolls Hannah once again saying "It's time to go to the zoo!" I then tell her it is not and to get back in bed. She proceeds to her room where she doesn't sleep. She comes back an hour later and says "It's time to go to the zoo!" Are you sensing a pattern here? I tell her it isn't and to go back to bed. Then next thing I here is Elise growling at Hannah for waking her up. This means I have to get up too...I get up and Hannah says, "It's time to go to the zoo!" And I say "You got up way to early we aren't going to the zoo right now."

Well this is just one fine example of how the week has gone. The night before it was Elise in the middle of the night and then Elise again at 6 in the morning. I think she might be teething because she was crying quite a bit and she is usually a great sleeper. Hannah was up that night too as well as the night before that.

It's funny because before Hannah was born not getting sleep is what I was the most worried about. I guess those worries were founded! I love my girls and I would never trade them. They are my sweeties and have such special little spirits. I must admit however, that I would love to find a way to get Hannah to go potty in the night without waking me. I would love it even more if she would stay in bed and just sleep. Any suggestions? What have you other mothers done to help your kids sleep through the night? What worked, what didn't, and what was just plain laughable? I would love to hear that I'm not the only one up at 3 a.m. So to all you members of the 3 a.m. club this is a shout out to you to speak up!

6 comments:

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Wow, Sara!! I wish I had all the answers. For me, it is getting worse as we go. Emily was the best sleeper. I was hardly ever up with her. Ashley was a more difficult baby and then Kymberly did pretty good. Halle still doesn't always sleep through the night and Maddie likes to sleep with me still. I always start her out in her crib but she always ends up in my bed because I am too tired to put her back when she wakes up. When there was a point in my life that our kids did sleep through the night, I had insomnia! Go figure. I think my body is so used to getting up all the time and it will never go back. I still like to be a night person and a morning person so I would not be the person to ask!! If you find some great answers though, let me know!

Christina said...

You are not alone. I try not to count the number of times I get up because I just get angry! Wish I had the answer. Lately the only way James sleeps is if he has had Tylenol. His top teeth are coming in. So good luck and you're not alone!

Rebecca said...

I think it's funny you thought of that song. When our kids are babies and always up Wes and I sing it all the time. Andrew's a pretty good sleeper. When he does start getting out of bed we just threaten him (I know, not the best parenting) and tell him he he gets out again he'll be grounded from his legos or something else he's really into at the time. We've followed through enough that he know's we're serious. Now if only we could get Makayla to stay asleep all night. Let me know when you find what works!

~*~*HEIDI*~*~ said...

Welcome to th3 3am club. Life seems tough with out enough sleep. I finally got my kids to sleep through the night by putting them in the same bed. For some reason, when Emma sleeps in her own bed she wakes up at night but when she sleeps with Riley she will sleep all night long. Go figure! Good Luck. I still need your new # by the way Ü

Brad and Colleen said...

Hey Sara, I was just complaining to Brad that I felt that our boys were old enough to be getting full nights sleep EVERY NIGHT. He assured me that there are others out there that get up nightly, after reading your blog, maybe he was right. Shhhh don't tell him though. I feel your pain, and am preparing for it to only get worse when the baby comes, but that is expected. By the way I love Magic Mountain, our favorite ride is the X. We love it there, sounds like fun especially without kids.