Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Some Delicious Comfort Food



I realize that I've been putting a lot of recipes on here lately but this is my favorite time of year to cook. I love making yummy soups for cool winter evenings. Last night I made one of my all time favorites so I thought that I would share the recipe with you. Now this recipe is very forgiving so you can really add as much or as little of the following ingredients as you like. I don't even measure I just dump everything in. But, since I realize that some of you may like things a little more precise I'll give you some exact measurements.

Curried Chicken and Rice Soup
1/2 onion chopped fine
1/1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 16 oz cans chicken broth
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/2 half apple chopped fine
3 stocks celery chopped (including leaves)
1/1/2 cups wild rice (pre-soaked)
1 chicken breast chopped (pre-cooked)
1 tsp sweet curry (this has a yellow hugh)
1/2 cup half and half
pepper to taste

First, saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Use the pot that you intend to make the soup in. Once the onions start to soften add the flour and stir until flour is cooked. Then add chicken broth and white wine.(You can use the wine out if you choose. I add it because it adds another depth of flavor and don't forget the alcohol cooks out). Add chopped apple, celery, wild rice and cooked chicken. Add curry and pepper. Add half and half and then let the soup simmer for about a half an hour or until the apple disappears. I love curry so I usually add quite a bit. My girls love this soup so don't let the curry scare you off from giving it a try. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Shandy said...

Yummm! I'm loving all of your recent recipes!!!
keep em' coming!

Cami said...

I love anything with curry in it. I can't wait to try it!

~*~*HEIDI*~*~ said...

Sounds yummy! I love Elise's indeed story. How adorable. Sure do miss you guys!