Are you looking for an idea to use up some of your food storage items? Well look no further. Today was the end of the month for our grocery money so I decided to look no further than my own pantry. Here is what I came up with and the family all ate it up. It would be great on a cool Autumn day or a brisk winter evening. so without further ado, here is my recipe for Lentil soup.
Lentil Soup
1 lb. Ground Pork Sausage
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 can of beef broth
1 can of chicken broth
2 cups of water
2/3 cup brown lentils
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
1/2 cup brown rice
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Brown sausage in frying pan. Put sausage in soup pot. Add tsp. olive oil to frying pan and add onions and celery and saute 3-5 minutes. When vegetables start to soften add the garlic, dried thyme, cumin, and parsley. Saute for 1-2 more minutes.
Add vegetables to soup pot with the sausage. Rinse out the frying pan with 2 cups of water and add to the soup pot. Add the beef broth and chicken broth, lentils, and chopped carrots to pot. Cook at a low simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are quite soft. Add brown rice and continue to simmer soup for 20-30 more minutes or until rice is done but still a bit chewy. Season with pepper and serve.
If I were a true chef I would have taken a beautiful photo of the hot steaming soup to really get your mouth watering but hey, I'm not a chef at all. I'm just a mom who loves to cook and share recipes that end up tasting yummy.
2 comments:
I'm impressed you had all those ingredients in your pantry! Wow! When we're at the end of our groceries we end up eating cold cereal or campbells chicken noodle soup. It sounds like a yummy soup!
Hi Sara! I am excited to try this recipe. I have always been intrigued by lentils. I have only used them in rice bags when I didn't want to use my rice. They made great rice bag. They have a cool texture. I will let you know how this turns out for me.
Post a Comment