Thursday, September 4, 2008

Confessions of a Political Junkie!

I am a major political junkie! I love watching and reading about all of this current election hoopla, as well studying about elections from the past. I actually kept all of my political science text books and sometimes I read them for FUN! Well, last night I watched the Republican National Convention and was certainly moved.

My emotions started to get away from me when Mike Huckabee spoke of a teacher who wouldn't allow her students to have their desks unless they could tell her how to earn them. The students guessed all kinds of different ways, such as getting good grades, and behaving but none of the students could guess. By the end of the school day all of the network news vans were there outside the school talking about the crazy teacher who wouldn't allow students to have desks. The next day when the students got to school the teacher told them that since none of them had guessed what they needed to do to earn the desks she was going to tell them. She opened the door and 20 veterans, some wearing uniforms from years gone by, walked in each carrying a desk. She then proceeded to tell the students that they didn't need to earn their desks because these men had all ready done that for them...By this point I was teary as I was reminded of the love that I have for my country. As the camera panned the crowd it zoomed in on a veteran wiping away a lone tear. This was a beautiful display of what a wonderful country we really have. And then the night got even better!

When I heard that John McCain chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate I was so excited that a Republican had chosen a woman to be his running mate but I was not sold on her because I had never even heard of her. Well last night she certainly made a play for my vote. When she got up there on the stage I had a sudden thought that she is about the same age as my sisters. I pictured my sister Amy up there and then I realized that that could be her up there or that could even be me! I've always heard growing up that a girl can do anything but it wasn't until last night when Sarah Palin (who was born in Sandpoint, Id) was on that stage that I realized that a small town Idaho girl like me or my daughters can do anything! As Palin spoke of being a mother my heart went out to her and the tears started falling. I am so thankful that she had the courage to take the time and effort to run for office! I can't even really put into words all of the feelings that I felt as I saw her up on that stage. But I do know that it made me miss my sisters and my mom and it made me hope that they were witnessing this historic occasion as well. It took me a long time to fall asleep after trying to digest what I had just witnessed. Regardless of what political affiliation you may have it is important to recognize the historical nature and importance of this election. What an exciting time to be alive and to live in this wonderful country where anything truly is possible! God Bless America!

3 comments:

Sheralin said...

I tought Sarah Palin rocked last night. I was so impressed with the points that she made. What a neat person! Sara, I've got to admit you are the reason I try to keep up on politics. I love how knowledgable you are, and so I have tried to be more like you! Thanks!

Kristen said...

Unfortunately, I forgot it was on last night but I went walking this morning with a friend and she was talking about how wonderful it was! From the things I heard, I think I really like Sarah Palin. I will have to see if I can find it online so I can see at least some of it! You inspire me, Sara!

Amy said...

The RNC has definantly been over shadowed here in Denver. I'm just glad that the DNC is OVER! It was a nightmare! And I'm glad all of those politicians are out of here now!
But I'm still the minority here even after the fact!
The election should be interesting!