Monday, October 6, 2008

Mmmmm Bread


This is a great Baking Book that Sam gave me for Christmas. We both have Scandinavian heritage. We wanted to learn more about that Heritage and we thought that food would be a great way to start. And boy has it ever! I absolutely love this recipe book. I think it should be in every baker's cupboard and no I do not receive any royalties if you purchase this book. Below is a picture of one of the kinds of bread that I have made using a fabulous recipe from this book. Here are a couple never fail bread recipes that I have found in this book. The first one is the one pictured below. The second one we always eat so fast that I've never gotten a picture of it!

Norwegian Whole Wheat Bread
2 packages active dry yeast
2 cups very warm water
1/4 cup light molasses (I used dark and it tasted fine)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted shortening or butter (I use butter)
1/1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat or graham flour (I used whole wheat)
3 to 4 cups bread flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
butter to brush hot loaves

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add the molasses, sugar, shortening, and salt. Stir in the whole wheat flour. Add bread flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is stiff. Let rest 15 minutes. Sprinkle breadboard with additional flour and turn dough out onto the flour. Knead 10 minutes until dough is smooth and springy. Wash bowl, grease lightly and add dough to the bowl. Turn over to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch down. Cover and let rise again until doubled. Punch down again and divide dough into 2 parts. Shape each into a round or oblong loaf. lightly grease two round cake pans or two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans. Place loaves in the pans. Let rise until almost doubled.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place loaves in the oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped or a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Brush tops of loaves with melted butter.


Danish Oat Loaf

1 cup uncooked rolled oats
1 cup milk, heated to boiling
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
1/1/4 cups very warm water
4 to 5 cups bread flour or all purpose flour.

Glaze and Topping
1 slightly beaten egg
2 tablespoons milk
rolled oats

in a small bowl, combine the rolled oats with the milk. Stir to mix. Add the butter, brown sugar, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand 5 minutes. When oat mixture is just warm to the touch, stir into the yeast mixture. Blend in 1 cup of the flour and mix until blended. Add the remaining flour a little at a time, beating to keep mixture smooth. When mixture is stiff, cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes. Sprinkle board with flour, turn dough out onto floured board, and knead for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and satiny. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Divide into 2 parts, shape into round loaves, and place in 2 greased 9 inch round pans. Let rise again until doubled.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush with egg mixed with milk and sprinkle with rolled oats. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.

The second recipe, the oat loaf, I have made quite a few times. My latest attempt was when I had my mom, my Aunt, and my cousin Lisa over for dinner. I served the oat loaf with some homemade stew and the meal was a hit! Lisa asked me to give her the recipe so Lisa, this posts for you!

Here's one more tip that I've have learned through trial and error. I don't like to spend all day making bread. I usually make my bread in the afternoon so that we can have some nice warm bread with dinner. The trick to making it fast is that I preheat my oven to the lowest setting, which is 170 degrees and then I shut it off. I then pop my bread into the warm oven to rise and it works like a charm. I'm an impatient person so I'm all about speed. This is also a great way to raise frozen Rhodes rolls quickly. Happy Autumn, Happy Baking!

3 comments:

Sheralin said...

Yum! I am excited to try these recipes. I just tried a bread recipe tonight that didn't turn out quite right, so I will be happy to try out your tried and true recipes. The picture looks yummy.

Carolyn said...

Looks delicious! I don't really make homemade bread because I could eat the whole loaf. But, I've been making cinnamon rolls lately and I guess that isn't any better! Now that I've gotten pretty good at making doughs, I think I'll try some bread sometime.

Shandy said...

TOTALLY bookmaking this entry for those recipes!!!! your pic was gorgeous (and enticed me to want to climb inside the computer and eat it! LOL)